Tick, tick, tick, TIME IS FLYING! I feel like I say that every week, heck, every DAY, but it's just so true. Next week, I will officially be in my third trimester. That is crazy! I knew this trimester was going to fly by (and I'm fully prepared for the third tri to creep slowly as we get ever-more-anxious to meet Baby E) but oh my!
Anyway, week 27 update coming at ya!
-Total pregnancy weight gain: It pains me to write this, 7 lbs. As I mentioned, I had a dr's appointment yesterday and I was certain that I was in the double digits but I managed to gain 1 lb in the last 4 weeks. More on this later...
-Clothes: I'm still wearing lots of non-maternity items but I did buy a new maternity dress and pencil skirt from GAP over the weekend and I love them. They were both on sale (always good) and they are super comfy and flattering and just make me feel pregnant!
-Food aversions: No real aversions.
-Food cravings: I'm still craving beverages of almost any kind and yogurt is finally back on the "want" list...but only vanilla, haha. I'm loving fresh fruit, especially mangoes, strawberries, and nectarines. Hooray for being pregnant in the summer with all the good stone fruit and berries.
-Gender hunch: We did our registry this weekend and I can officially say that I have no hunch or preference this week...turns out, all baby clothes, boy or girl, are adorable. Who knew;)
-Workouts: Running, walking Scout, and a little bit of Turbofire and yoga! I have slowed my running down just a little bit but I still feel great before, during, and after all my runs. So grateful for that and the opportunity to feel good just from moving! Good for baby and mama!
-Sleep: I'd say that I'm still sleeping well but I am waking up a little more frequently. I can usually go back to sleep though.
-General Feelings: Well, I'll start with the weekend. Like I said, Aaron and I did (started?) our registry at Babies R Us and that was overwhelming to say the least. We decided to register solely at Babies R Us because they have so much and it is practically 2 blocks from our house so it will make returns and emergency purchases convenient. I had poked around online a little bit but we decided to go into the store to really "register". We decided to follow the recommended list they give you and so I'm sure an experienced mom or grandma will immediately recognize some "rookie mistakes" in terms of registering for unnecessary items but I can't imagine how lost we would have been without some kind of guide! After two hours, we were pretty beat. I honestly couldn't tell you half the things we registered for but I am definitely excited about some of the things we picked out like the jogging stroller (shocker) and the snug a bunny swing, complete with bunny ears, thank you very much!
Unfortunately, part of the reason I was beat after the registry adventure was because I started getting a back ache that evening. I've had this discomfort (I won't call it pain) only a handful of times before (I first noticed it in Fredericksburg) but it's basically below my shoulder blade and in my upper back, only on my right hand side. I read online that it was rib displacement that traps a nerve. I also read that it could be gas? I talked to my dr about it and she said that it usually has to do with your diaphragm getting pushed up and so nerves and such are affected. Usually that happens when you get bigger so she thought it was weird that I have it now. The good news is that with a few stretches, it feels better. It's not a real sharp pain, more like a dull, annoying ache. I'm hoping it's sort of like the sciatic nerve pain that came and then...went!
So, the Dr visit. As I mentioned last week, I had to drink the glucola, or the kool-aid as I like to call it, before my appointment yesterday so they could do a blood draw to test my glucose tolerance. It really wasn't terrible but it was probably the most sugary, artificially colored liquid I have ever put in my body! I drank it after eating a carb-less breakfast (hard boiled egg and egg white) and by the time I got to the dr's office, the baby was kicking like crazy and I felt a little jittery, haha. Luckily, they drew my blood fairly quickly. They took one vial for that test, one vial to test for HIV, and one vial for blood count. That's enough, I think!! I hope that I passed because if not, you have to go in for a three hour screening where you fast for 12 hours, drink the kool-aid, and then they prick you three times in three hours. Gah. After my blood draw, I sat with our nurse and she weighed me in and took my blood pressure and all that. When I saw our Dr, I asked if she was concerned about my, well, lack of, weight gain. I told her that I was genuinely shocked that I had only gained a pound because I felt like my belly had grown so much. She told me that I need to gain at least 15 lbs total with this pregnancy and that 20 lbs would be preferred. I was happy to hear that she didn't want me to cut back on exercise because that's a good thing but she does want me to be eating more and specifically protein. She listened for the heart beat (which was good--147 BPM) and measured me for the first time. Not surprisingly, I am measuring small, at roughly 24 weeks, making me about 3 weeks behind. All of this doesn't really matter if baby is growing like it should be so at our next appointment (in 2 weeks because I'm now to the point where I'm going every 2 weeks instead of 4) we'll have a sono so she can see. If baby is on target, she said she doesn't care one bit about the scale...well, so long as I get to at least 15 lb gain. Honestly, this is a little stressful and I NEVER ever thought that I would struggle with this so much. If I let myself go there, I get worried about a low birth weight baby or going into preterm labor so I'm trying to stay calm and, well, eat. It's tough because I'm not that hungry and I feel like my stomach has shrunk too. When I do get hungry, I want to make sure that I'm eating good food for baby, like fruits and veggies, lean proteins, and whole grains which are frankly, not high in calories. Eating when you are not hungry is just no fun but a good friend gave me a good, motivating pep talk today about how I can do this and reminded me that I've done much harder things in my life than this so I am no stranger to making myself do something. And of course, I'm motivated to do this for OUR BABY! I just need to make some smart choices on calorie-dense food and essentially train myself to think outside of my usual (un-train myself?) and find some things that I like to eat and eat them!
Enough heavy stuff...here's who you're really here for, Baby E is the size of a rutabaga (haha) or head of cauliflower this week!

No comments:
Post a Comment