Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Debunking the Myths

I'll admit, a can of coke zero at lunch inspired this post.

Yep, you read that right: a coke. While pregnant. GASP!

There are so many misconceptions out there about pregnancy and for me, I didn't really read the fine print until I found myself with child. I'm not going to lie to you and tell you that all of this makes me totally comfortable...or that I don't still google just how much caffeine is in said can of coke zero (even though I've memorized it) or if it is really okay that I sweat a little bit when I run.

Of course, every pregnancy is different but these are simply the myths that I've debunked so far...or I've read up or heard about their debunchery--pregnancy allows you to make up words. Oh, you didn't know that? Look at that, you're already learning something from this fabulous post.

Myth: ZERO caffeine.
Truth: You can have 200mg every day. Turns out, 200mg is a lot! It just depends on how you choose to spend those mg. There was a great article about caffeine content in popular drinks on the Huffington Post a few weeks ago: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/24/caffeine-content-coffee-tea_n_1224857.html The take home message: coffee has A LOT of caffeine. Cokes on the other hand, relatively speaking, don't.
In real life: I definitely don't have a coke a day, not even close. I'd say in the 14 weeks I've been pregnant, I have had 4 total. As for coffee, I have not touched the "real stuff" with a ten foot pole. I've had maybe 2 cups of decaf but coffee has not sounded good at all. I made a pot before church one morning and threw the whole thing out. At least it was a relatively unexpensive change of heart.

Myth: Sleeping on your stomach is going to crush your baby.
Truth: Baby is not harmed by sleeping on your tummy. Your uterus is protected by your pubic bone and OBs say that it will get flat-out uncomfortable well before you actually can do harm to your baby.
In real life: I read about this really early on and have taken it to heart with full faith. As I mentioned earlier this morning, I'm trying to break my back-sleeping habit (thanks, savasana pose for making that so appealing) and move to my left side as the weeks tack on.

Myth: Avoid sushi like the plague.
Truth: Raw fish with mercury is the problem. That means rolls with cooked fish or imitation fish (krab, I'm talking about you) is perfectly fine.
In real life: Bring on the fake krab CA rolls, baby!

Myth: Do not exercise while you're pregnant.
Truth: You should always talk to your doctor about this but the common advice here is if you did it before you got pregnant, you are safe to continue doing it. There are important things to keep in mind, however. You want to stay well-hydrated and if you are exercising while pregnant, you want to make sure that you increase your water intake before, during, and after your workouts. You want to keep an eye on your heart rate, as well. The recommended limit is 140 bpm so wearing a heart rate monitor helps as does the "talk test". The "talk test" means you are able to hold a conversation with someone while you're working out. You can work out quite a bit during your first trimester. As for the second and third, your belly may limit what you can and can't do. Also, you should avoid any ab exercises or other exercises performed on your back as this can restrict blood flow to the baby. It's also smart to be mindful of your joints. Pregnant women are more flexible than their non-pregnant selves so it's easy to over stretch or put too much stress on your ligaments.
In real life: I'll admit that this is a scary one to embrace. I feel like I've read every snippet of information regarding pregnant exercise out there...and I still question that. I've really enjoyed being able to work out but I've also found what works for me and I don't plan to stray from it--even though I probably could. When we found out we were pregnant, I nixed Bikram Yoga and Insanity (plyometric training) completely. I am running but very slowly and I'm doing my "regular", not prenatal yet, yoga DVDs with modifications...no deep twists, no inversions, no stomach or back work, no backbends...but the breathing is really beneficial, of course, and I always feel better after I've been able to get some yoga in. As for the heart rate rule and talk test, I definitely keep this in mind every time I step on the treadmill. If you have no idea what 140 bpm "looks like", yesterday I ran for an hour at a 12 minute mile pace with hills. There were times when I felt like I was working moderately hard but I was just sweating a little bit and hydrating every 15-20 minutes or so. I took my heart rate as I was finishing up and it was around 120-130 bpm. That leaves a lot of room for some good sweat sessions! Don't be afraid to get moving. You will feel better and your baby will be happier too!

Myth: Pregnancy means eating for two.
Truth: You only need about 300 extra calories a day during your first tri, about 350 during your second tri, and about 450 during your third trimester.
In real life: 300 calories is, hmm, a little more than my favorite chocolate chip cookie dough luna bar! Fortunately, I feel like your body knows what to do. I thought I would be, and still have time to be I guess, a human garbage disposal, wanting to eat for not two, but four. Thankfully, your body pretty much knows what it wants and if you keep in mind that you are fueling a healthy baby, it keeps you accountable to eat to get your nutrients and make healthy choices.

Myth: You can't take any medications.
Truth: There are lists out there of how risky medications are to pregnant women.
In real life: I can only speak to allergy medicine because it's the the only situation I've actually experienced. I was having bad allergies before and when we got Scout and I asked my OB about what I could take. It's not a green light to medicate yourself from here to England but she said that on a scale of 1 to 10, if my allergies are about a 9 or so, I can take a claritin. NOT claritin D, but claritin. Thankfully, my allergies have gotten better and I've only had to take about 4 in 14 weeks. Of course, there's always the neti pot...

No comments:

Post a Comment